PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 01:28
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"As a profession, we learned some things about ditching." ???? That the plane lands, and floats, exactly as the manual shows us? And, as expected, with a contolled landing(high survival rate), the fuselage will stay together and float for awhile?

Lots of drama on the news. At least my kids, and to a lesser extent my wife, realize the folks did what they've done for years -

1. fly the plane
2. analyze the situation
3. take appropriate action

High drama! "The missed the G.W. bridge by only 900'" - My kids understand now that flying 900' above something is not a 'miss'. And if they'd have been to low to clear the G.W....., they could have turned north away from the G.W.

Or, if after turning south and realizing they couldn't clear the G.W. bridge, and will no altitude to turn, could have gone under the G.W. That would have been interesting, but at the time a simple fact of the PIC doing what he had to do to accomplish points 1, 2, and 3.

My guess is the trancripts will appear to be almost boring, but obviously high drama because the event is very unusual. It will be time compressed points 1, 2, and 3 above.

Excellent job, but oy, the drama!