PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The use of A-levels?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2009, 22:28
lukeharvest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just got a C in one of my GCSE Maths Exams, which was foundation tier, i got 73 out of 75, which indicates that i am working incredibly well at my target grade.

I'm allowed to do a resit in March for the higher tier paper, meaning that i can get up to an A*

That's all good, but i'm absolutely c**p at mental arithmetic, i'll be honest now, i was simply staggered by the fuel question someone posted in this topic.

If i'm this bad at Maths, would it be possible for me to do Maths A-level and find it easier, if i start learning maths PROPERLY outside of school starting from i.e now?
For literally all Flight Schools you'll be put through Pilot Aptitude tests (numerous of them), where Physics and Maths play a heavy part of that process; especially Mental Arithmetic; the tests that involve Mental Arithmetic are very pushed for time, to disallow the candidate from trying to manually work it out, that fuel question is exactly the style of questions in the Aptitude tests.

The Oxford Aviation Academy Aptitude test (for Maths) comprises of 24 questions to be answered in 20 minutes, not giving candidates enough time to work it out in any other way than mentally.