PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will driving from SYD to Kununurra kill me?
Old 15th Jan 2009, 22:13
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My main concern are the floods if I was to drive Alice to Katherine to Kununurra this time of year. Has anyone been caught out in these floods and would the trip from SYD to Kununurra still take 5 days?

Yes, it's all about timing.
On my 3rd Melb/Darwin trip I got caught south of Alice Springs/NT border by floods, racing up North for a position I knew was going. Spent the night at the Marla road house, as did many others so it was a boon for the Roadhouse and a top night at the bar. Missed the job... others came though.

Melb/Darwin after a few trips I was doing in 3 days (knowing the road/roo's and traps). I drove Sydney/Darwin once, which is longer through Blackall/Fug-all/Longreach/Mt Isa - 5 days... and the roads not as good (as per Hasselhof's mention previously).

First trip was in 1990 in 1969 Ford Cortina (2 door Sports!)... broke down in Tennant Ck, needing a new engine due overheating (caution the afternoon temps!)... jammed in another 2nd hand sort from the wreckers... muffler came off around Katherine so it sounded like a truck, entering the township. It got me to Darwin though, where I finally sold it because it still had a good set of Kumo's on it. If I didn't put a mesh over the front grill for bugs it wouldn't have cooked the engine, never-the-less it was all character building, networking and provided top opportunities to spread the CV and meet companies along the way.

Out of 5 trips, I was caught once by floods. Lived in Timber Creek for awhile too (between Kath/Kunn) and that does flood abit in many parts and isn't up to scratch like the Stuart Highway up the centre is. Good time to have a break Barra fishing with the locals though, if trapped there!

Lots of good advice to heed on this whole thread. Only thing I could add is to keep tuned to ABC National Radio. It's nationwide and keeps you up to date with news/road warnings etc... as well as "ABC Grandstand" - broadcasting sports results all day saturdays too (!!!) and "Macka around Australia" on Sunday mornings.
Mobile phone coverage has improved dramatically on the major roads with the carriers but a cheap Dick-Smith's UHF radio may be an idea, just to keep a listen out if the truckies are hitting Roo's or not. If plenty of rain, they will be off the road side-strip grasses and out in the scrub though.

Give it a run and take time to enjoy the whole experience, it's characters and what this huge country is about. I know you'll be the better for it.
As the Buddhists say 'Life is in the journey, not the destination."