PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help finding files please???
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2009, 14:28
Wing Commander Fowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding files please???

Hi there.

I'm normally pretty reasonable with this sort of thing but this time I am foxed foxed foxed..........

My friend has a dell latitude, given to her as part of her redundancy package when eirjet when titsy. So, as such there may be some administrator restrictions set from many moons ago.

It has recently died on her (I spent 3 hours stripping and rebuilding it this morning to no avail) and I am now trying to recover her precious pictures and video. I thought this would be dead easy as I have an external hard drive adaptor. I have fitted the hard drive into the adaptor and my laptop now sees data in windows explorer.

This is where the problems begin:

I can find work related word docs by searching ".doc". When I search for any of the following I get results only of images from program packages and windows itself: .bmp - .jpg - .jpeg - .mpg - .mpeg - .mp4

She is concerned for the valuable pictures and video of course.

I have looked through all of the several "my pictures" folders and found only sample stuff.

Some of the folders on the root state that I do not have permission to access - access anyway. I do this and don't see much of value.

I have asked and both stills and video camera are sony. I have ascertained that she used to allow sony to do the downloading for her. I have no idea either where the program stores the pictures/videos when it does its business.

I have also searched for *.dsc as I think sony uses this as the prefix for images but I am not certain of that.

Does anyone have any idea how to proceed from here please? This would make her very happy indeed as all of the kids photos are there with (you guessed it) NO BL**DY BACKUP!!!!!

Thanx chaps.