PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will driving from SYD to Kununurra kill me?
Old 15th Jan 2009, 10:30
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
All good advice.

I can't stress enough though, DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT IN YOUR SIRION! (or you will die, ). Kangaroo's are quite solid, and the only vehicles I've seen that come off first best are large 4WD's with heavy bullbar's, Roadtrains, and Coaches.

Shouldn't have any problems with making it to fuel stops (unless it's a really old car with a small tank). Maybe do a highway drive beforehand and see how far you can get out of a tank. I wouldn't recommend carrying jerry cans of fuel in your vehicle unless you really really need to. However, don't make the Outback the place to think "I wonder how far I really CAN get out of that tank", .

Make sure you, as they say, STOP REVIVE SURVIVE. I don't particuarly want to be flying you out of some remote town after they've just peeled you off the side of the road because you fell asleep at the wheel. I've seen it enough to not want to see it again.

With common sense and a bit of forward thinking, the drive won't kill you. You'll find it's one of the best things you have done so far (the scenery, the places you'll go through, all interesting in their own way). Outback driving is not like driving up and down the East coast. It WILL get boring, hence the need to stop and have a break, take some munchies, and some good music.

And finally, as well as having some water in reserves, drink plenty while you're driving!

morno