PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for pilots and PAX - turbulence
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2009, 09:51
BladePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Canada 747 back in the late 80's inbound to Toronto I was sitting on the upper deck and the flightdeck door had been open the whole flight.
On approach to the Canadian coast the Captain announced that he expected 'moderate' turbulence on the way down. Almost immediately after he stopped speaking the aircraft reacted as if on cue and we all had that fleeting moment of stomach churning weightlessness as we dropped what was probaly only 50ft or less but then...... as if dissapointed that she hadn't procured a satisfactory response from the passengers the old bird dropped again but this time it was much more severe. After what seemed like 30 seconds or so (it was probably only a couple) I recall hearing the airframe groan as it 'bottomed out' and stress levels increased instantaneously on the wings.

Then from beyond the open flightdeck door I heard 'YeeeeeeHaaaaa boy that was a peach' followed by a real loud belly aching laugh .. knowing that the crew were enjoying the ride made me instantly relax and I sat eagerly anticipating the next moment of butt clenching terror.

Here it comes........ YeeeeeeHaaaaaa