PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Plans (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2009, 08:31
Mr Flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading all the posts. There is a clear divide from all parties here.
Looking at the prospect of moving LHR east and building a new airport in the Thames Estuary with the necessary infrastructure would be solve a lot of problems. But as one poster has said that it would cause major problems moving the jobs and other facilities like catering and cargo.
A purpose built airport would be best, but the major cost of the infrastructure is one huge problem that would have to be overcome. But you can’t just build an airport you would have to build the roads and high speed rail links from all parts of the country. Not just London. There is a bigger country outside the London area and this is forgotten all too many times.
A Thames Estuary airport should not be thrown out.
As for the current animal that is LHR in its present state it is a national disgrace T1 and T2 are old dark, damp, the inside of the terminals is held together with sticky tape and I feel embarrassed when I meet a flight in and the first thing people see of LHR and the UK is wires hanging down, buckets catching the rain and freezing cold gate rooms. I can go on and on. Oh and let’s not forget the 5 shopping malls that passengers and airline staff have to get through.
Yes a third runway would help and 6th terminal but you have got to look at the rest of LHR too. That will not be a quick fix far from it. Getting from central London has never been quicker. But I come in from bucks 5 times a week and would take the train, but there is no rail links from the South, West or North of the airport. So I am forced into my car and chock the already over crowed roads.
There is no easy answer to this. But I do just hope the environmentally protesters keep their protests quite and think of others when they protest. And I hope they get to LHR in green way. Say walking or on public transport and not private car. Would be very interesting to see the carbon foot print from their little picnic the other night.