PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA funding of UK retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2009, 02:33
Goonybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's how it played out in the Canadian courts for a couple of AC pilots who felt they were forced to retire at 60.

http://www.chrt-tcdp.gc.ca/search/fi...17august07.pdf

FlyPast60 Web Update Page -- Fly Past 60 Coalition Recent Events

Here is an eloquent way to retire, copied from another forum, please read.

"I joined AC over 34 years ago, (best decision I ever made), under the expectation that I would be leaving at 60 and so did everyone else on the seniority list behind me. I planned for it and I am more than happy to get out of the way of those who also planned on my/our retirement at 60.... I've been at it for 40 years last June and, as the saying goes, "...and now for something completely different!".

If 65 is what is wanted by the pilots (and therefore the Association) or an employer, then bring it to the table and deal with the issues raised by this decision.

If I might be permitted a bit of leeway and bandwidth...Two months to go. Fran asked me what I was going to do on Day One. I said I'd probably go out to the button of 26L and watch airplanes land and takeoff like I was doing in 1957, perhaps just to write the last page. There'll be no castor oil and belching smoke from the Pratts or the smooth drone of Merlins or the crackle of the Trans-Canada's connies starting and taxiing out for London, England from the south terminal. We can't wander onto the ramp (Harrisson Airways and the Aero Club of BC were favourites) and have one of the guys loading the airplane take a small kid to see the cockpit of what were Canadian Pacific's and TCA's brand new DC8s anymore. The DC8 simulator my brother and I built in 1961 is long gone (though some of the instruments made out of plywood are still in the FDA batcave). The high school had a bandsaw and you could cut curves with it, so making stringers was fun designing and putting together - because of my brother, even the lights and radios worked and we found something called the Radio-Telephone Operator's Handbook so we could learn how they did it, (my brother, now an electrical engineer, stuck a bobby-pin in an outlet and found his life's career in a flash of inspiration.. )

Anyway, some thoughts on Fran's question. We all have a Day One - it's the very last first day. I sure don't feel like on "old fart", so I think there's a lot in being able to fly to a later age but see comments above)...in fact, some kid with an "N" nearly piled into me from behind the other day when I had to stop quickly for a car coming out of a parking lot that he couldn't see. He laid on the horn, shook his fist, swore and yelled that I drove like a...like a...a...a fffifty-year old!!

I thanked him warmly and carried on...
"

Don Hudson

Last edited by Goonybird; 15th Jan 2009 at 02:44.