PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT III localizer unusable for rollout guidance
Old 14th Jan 2009, 23:52
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAT III localizer unusable for rollout guidance

There are two airports that I know of that have a CAT III ILS with this note.

The question often asked is may I shoot an autoland to this runway (the only method to shoot a CAT III for the jet I fly)? My response is that I believe an autoland is OK, but that the autopilot must be disconnected after nosewheel touchdown.

The AOM does not indicate that rollout guidance is a requirement for either a CAT III ILS or an autoland in the ILS airborne equipment requirements table.

To date, leadership agrees with this, but others are not convinced. Do you have experience with this CAT III ILS note?

The published minimums are RVR 175m (600ft) at one airport, and RVR 200m (700 ft) at the other. Other parallel CAT III ILS approaches at the same airport include minimums of RVR 75m (300ft). Perhaps this implies that the minimums are higher due to the unusable rollout guidance. It might also simply indicate that those two runways present totally different environments, not just localizer guidance problems.