PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ADF buys another Lemon
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 23:06
scran
Music Quizmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afghan,

From a source with the US 4th Combat Avn Brigade (who are or about to or deploy to Iraq again)

"The latest Chinook model to enter service is the CH-47F, an advanced multi-mission helicopter featuring a Rockwell Collins Common Architecture System (CAAS) cockpit that brings crews better situational awareness. Incorporated is an advanced digital map display plus a new data transfer system and other improvements. Additionally, the BAE designed Digital Advanced Flight Control System (DAFCS) has bought better flight control capabilities that make the aircraft not only more efficient but easier and safer to handle under extreme conditions".

Also, the "new" UH-60L fields the heavy duty flight control system developed for the USN Sea Hawk.

Seems the US don't mind electronics for electronics sake. Seriously - in the modern battlefield, without some serious EWSP kit, survival times for helo's is limited. Granted the main threat in Afghanistan is RPG being fired at you(sometimes down onto you).

Also, I seem to remember that the first deployment of our Chooks was delayed while we fitted some "kit' to make our operations compatible with the US/Allied birds there.

I'd also argue about the recommendation to Government Afghan. All the paperwork I ever saw when I was in Defence indicated that the NH90 was the preferred option (granted UH-60L was suitable). "Army" as you stated would not have made (via the normal process) a recommendation to Government - the CABSUB would have been generated by Defence (not DMO - one of the areas that worked under Head of Capability Systems) rather than just Army.