PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Reverser on the 737 classics and -900
Old 14th Jan 2009, 21:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a "1 size fits all". I know what the FCTM says, but airmanship should allow discretion variations. You land on a 3000m runway with turn off that the end. Good weather and no tail wind. Would you set autobrakes? Would you use more than idle REV? If yes to either, why? Please explain. Remember I said airmanship and not SOP's.

I once worked for an airline who did it's own maintenance on brakes & engines. They oscillated between normal reverse and little brakes, to idle reverse and more brakes. They were trying to discover the most cost effective solution. I'm not sure they ever did. Engine & reverser maintenance versus brake pad wear. On cars I was always told it was easier to change nrakes than gear boxes. Brakes were designed for everyday use in slowing down; gear bozes were not. I know it's not the same as reversers and turbines, but there is a significant difference in costs on changing brakes and renovating engines. There is also the difference in carbon or steal brakes; multi short sectors and brake heat.

What about 3 or 4 engine a/c. I've never flown either. Do you guys use all reversers or only 2? Is that an option?

So what is the truth brakes v T/R's? reread para 1.