PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC Optometry Department Closed
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 19:31
Sentry Agitator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Hi Folks - more info

I discussed the situation with the secretary yesterday and was told that BMEC (Birmingham and Midlands Eye Centre) won't be ready until March and that they are also unable to supply CLs at this time.

I was also told that they still don't have the notes from OASC??? that bit is quite worrying.

I was advised to take whatever I had along to my local opticians and ask for an issue which I could purchase at my own expense.

I arranged for a late start (time off already) and walked into my civilian specs supplier. Needless to say....I shouldn't have gone to! as they were not too helpful. I was informed that I needed to see an optician at a cost. I left and went to the really fast opticians and result....I can have exactly what I need on Saturday as long as when my docs pitch up I can fax a copy of my prescription for their reference/records.

HOWEVER, the cost was massive £140 for only 2-months supply. It would be cheaper to be on a DD of course.

I now have the delights of JPA to contend with to recoup some (obviously not all) of my costs. That'll be tomorrows joys of joys no doubt.

I was a bit 'dischuffed' by lunchtime so phoned for a Doctors apptmt to discuss. Whilst the Dr was very sympathetic, there wasn't a great deal that she could do. I have asked for a formal referral to BMEC just in case my 'calling forward' fails to materialize.

I now have a copy of the letter from Air Cmd addressed to all SMOs and DII'd 20090105-Aircrew Contact Lens-U. It may be worth getting a copy?

I'd just like to add - we have gone from using a centre of excellence in provision of care with very few staff looking after how many ???? (insert figure) to now having many ???? scattered far and wide and struggling to find informed guidance from several Med Ctrs scattered across the RAF with the associated admin burden to everyone.

Thank you Sirs/Ma'ams - You really have excelled with the QCIT, value stream analysis or lean process this time......WELL DONE. Its now taken me a month to do what I used to be able to achieve in a 2-minute phonecall to Jo.

SA - slightly miffed