PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recognition for Wootton Bassett
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 19:24
theotherhalf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this modern, "do nothing without benefit to yourself" country that Britain is becoming these people step out, rain or shine, to do something selflessly. Such is the unusual nature of the gesture it is worthy of recognition. If for no other reason that it might draw others to consider a selfless act...
Sorry for being blunt, but if it takes recognition to encourage others to follow suite then it begs the question 'would they have done it otherwise?' In which case we are back to 'do nothing without benefit to yourself'.

The people of this town have done this wonderful thing out of respect not for recognition. The media coverage of it should surely be recognition enough. Too many people have said that this country does not care about its military and now people are finding ways to refute this statement, we want to reward them. I'm not sure that's right either.
The people of this country should honour our courageous men and women - past and present, and they should not need to be 'honoured' themselves when they have done it.

What a merry go round.
'Gongs all round.
Shake hands
Pat on the back
Let me stand at the front then I can smile at the camera!

Leave these fine people to do what they do best - look after our own with Pride.