PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armavia A320 turbulence at cruise, A380 wake
Old 14th Jan 2009, 15:12
BladePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched the A380 test bed aircraft (frame number 3 I think, maybe wrong) performing at the Dubai Airshow in Emirates colours before first delivery (Dec 2005 I think, have a memory like a sieve!). We were permitted out as far as the edge of the ramp adjoining the Exhibition Centre at DXB way out beyond the static aircraft display. It was the first time I'd seen the beast fly and I was amazed at how quiet the aircraft was as it gathered momentum on its take off roll. The weather was beautiful and we had a very light warm breeze in our faces as we watched the aircraft silently roll past us. As we watched the nosewheel slowly lift we were hit full on by what I can only describe as a ferocious gust of wind so strong I had to actually lean into it to avoid taking a step back I watched in amusement as folks scambled to hold onto hats, coats and anything else which may have been parted from them by the sudden gust, its was particularly amusing watching the ladies bravely attempt to defend their dignity
I recall turning to a colleague and saying 'they'll have a job convincing the authorities that that thing has anywhere near the same wake turbulence characteristics of a 747'

Stand Well Clear!

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...et-airbus.html