PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Unauthorised" air ambulance landing
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 12:14
Dagenhamdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you need to do in the AA role is to get on the radio and call up local Plod, (Police to our american friends) they (I hope ) would assist the team in getting on with the mission.
AA's don't get permission to land pre incident but it would be prudent to have aggreements re HLS within Sensitive area's ,large developements, industrial sites and sporting venues,throughout their area of coverage.
It would keep someone in a nice job eh ??? (Ops Officer Available )
on another note,
A mate of mine flies hot air balloons they have these permission issues every time they land.
once landed they seek permission from the landowner to retrieve the deflated balloon from the field, if they do not get permission to drive on to the field they then have to carry all the components off of the field! so they always try and look for a landing site free of animals and crop's with good access to a road if poss.
They also carry Ordanance Survey maps which have sensitive areas marked on them such as Pigs farms,chickens, angry Farmers, stud farms, and any areas that have had problems in the past some are no land zones and some are avoid flying below 500ft/1000ft (believe it or not ,Hot air balloons spook animals more than helicopters do) the ballooning governing body also have reps in each county to liaise with landowners to help with any issues or complaints.
I'm sure the Surrey AA management team would have have spoken to the estate manager and addressed the issue by now.

All publicity is good publicity and minor and usually inaccurate stories like this help keep the AA charities in the public domain,

don't forget to support YOUR local air ambulance!