PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War Zone on Channel 5
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 08:25
SCAFITE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raf Pr

(The odd adjustment could have crossed my desk)

In the last few weeks the RAF have had RAF at 90 on 90 mins of BBC 2 prime time and the Channel 5 Soap Opera War Zone currently running. Both programmes have shown a balance of operations and good times had by all. Jet Fighters blasting their way to the hevens protecting our country in one prog, and pretty little girl in the other with the message lifes not that bad on operations in the RAF.

Even though many folks on this and other forums were not happy about the progs, due to the fact it did not show this trade or another branch doing their bit. Think back to why you wanted to join the RAF, for those who like me left school at 16 on Friday and joined the RAF the following Wednesday. I saw the film Battle of Britain when I was 10 and thought I will have some of that. Wanted to be a V Bomber pilot and some kind of Space Gunner, but they said you can be a stacker at 16 and we will pay you £11.00 quid a week (1976). What a fortune where do I sign.

We are entering a bad time in the UK and this is the best time for the service to get the best youngsters. Next year Peter Jackson going to spend millions on the new Dambusters film, and no dout you lot will slag it off. But the point is its not for you, but some youngster whom it may just put the seed in their heads to be a Fighter pilot or Stacker. The RAF will get 20 years of adverts for nothing off the back of the film.

If you are young and got more than two brain cells and you want to join the services, which one should I think of.