PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hercs" or "Caribous" -Can They Be Used as FIREFIGHTERS??
Old 14th Jan 2009, 01:46
airtags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spod

Air attack is broad debate - Bushfire CRC has done some interesting research and has made some findings that will not necessarily sit comfortably with some authorities.

Essentially the key to air suppression is the ability to deliver the initial response (typically retard) within a limited timeframe from fire establishing. After this point air/attack supression is really akin to mustering - attempting to shape, turn, & deflect the primary front, (principally for property or fireground crew protection.)

I used to live in the Blue Mountains and have worked in some of the most devasting blazes that defied convention. We also recorded and covered some of the various a/c trials including the much debated C130 brawl with the then NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner.

I now live not far from your patch and although larger fixed wing aircraft may deliver advantages in these relative 'flatter' areas, end of the day it's about those critical initial and recurrent response times. For this reason I would feel more comfortable with an Aircrane that can quickly suck up a few thousand litres from the dam and do multiple dumps rather than rely on one or two fixed wing a/c.

I think there's a few threads in rotorheads that have some data comparisions.

AT