PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the DC3
Thread: Flying the DC3
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 01:27
sundaun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fossils

A lifetime ago, f--rting in the cockpit after "cracking" th side window! Changing hdg with massive skids generated by the A/P D.G.! Sarting both using wobble pump and crossfeed, take-off roll commenced just as F/O "climbed" into seat! Departed GKA once without the "hostie", tower called us back to pick her up!! Pax unperturbed. Optic & I doing a MAG to Manus with HLS pax (44 side-saddle) admiring reef fauna & marinelife at close proximity with both selected to the aux (3 tanker) and running it dry, never seen Optic move like it, reckon I got 3000psi out of that wobble pump at same time! I can still remember the CP (assy) calcs, to ETP @ 75 imp gal per hr, then 1 gal per mile out or home (it used 115 gal/p/h @ 115 kts with meto power on remaining engine) Only 2 mishaps I can recall,F.K. shutdown one sth of Gilluwe "between layers" with a load of explosives one day MAG-Mendi & I pondered who the new female pilot was, Frank,s voice contralto.He landed safely. R.C. took to the barret at WDA after a drag link broke on left gear. Pieces of that aircraft were there until recent times.G.O.R. also bent a couple of props at Wabag wheeling one onto a steep rise in the strip. Ferried old MAE POM - KWAJ - HNL - Oakland in more recent times, no GPS then, only Loran C, took 46 hrs stick! A/P u/s. Bit of an Ansett/TAA PNG get together New Farm Q'ld 17th Oct 09 contact [email protected] or Jan on [email protected] I'll go get that hostie from GKA and bring her along!!