PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 00:34
nazca_steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came across this fascinating thread and it's taken a good chunk of time to read through it - well worth every minute.

I was wondering if anyone on here remembers or knows any more details about the engagement between Curtis and Broadwater against the Canberras on 1st May. I read Sharkey Ward's account and by all means it filled in a lot of gaps, as do the Argentine accounts. From what I have read, the Argentine lead crew spotted a SHAR firing, but apparently too late to take initial evasive action. This confirms Sharkey's account that the SHARs approached from behind having flown past them (unnoticed?).

We know that Alan Curtis was sadly killed with EJ on the 6th, but I would dearly like to hear Mike Broadwater's account of the attack as well. I've spent almost two years on and off trying to track him down but to no avail. There's a good chance he does not want to be found, and fair enough, a man's privacy is his own business. However, if anyone on here ever spoke or heard Mike speak about the engagement, I'd love to hear about it.

An earlier post mentioned the ARA Alferez Sobral searching for the crew of the downed B-110, and I have often wondered if they would have had any luck had they not run into the RN patrol chopper and opened fire on it. My guess is that in the south atlantic waters, the two crewmen would not have made it that long (as it was quite a few hours later I believe when the boat went out).

Anyway, all very interesting stuff on here, and many thanks to all those from both sides of the Atlantic for sharing these stories.

Steve