PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2009, 23:46
akindofmagic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is absolutely 100% correct to say that an Integrated course spoonfeeds you where a Modular course doesn't.
What a load of utter nonsense. I usually agree broadly with what WWW says. However, in this case I think he is way off the mark.

It is absolutely wrong to say that an integrated (or the CTC highly structured modular course) spoonfeeds the cadet. To follow the logic used by WWW, any degree would be considered "spoonfeeding".

I studied law at one of the top universities in the country, and when I started a course each term I would be handed a course planner which contained the required reading for the course, the lecture/ seminar and tutorial schedule etc. However, it was up to the individual student to do the reading, attend the lectures, do the work that was required to complete the course. This is not spoonfeeding; it is simply the accepted way of structuring learning at, I would suggest, the vast majority of institutions around the country.

This is exactly the same with CTC (and I would assume any other similar course). It is up to the individual concerned to work as much or as little as he or she wants to achieve the desired result. You will not be handed "the answers" on a plate. You will have to work bloody hard. You will have to be prepared to do additional reading on your own initiative, to nail any issues that you as an individual find tricky.

I personally find it incredibly insulting that a training captain with a major UK airline seems to think that integrated (or CTC) cadets have been given an easy route (compared to modular students) to gaining the little blue book. Sadly, this seems to me to be indicative of the attitude of a significant number of people within the airline industry. Hopefully, this attititude will eventually change, but I won't be holding my breath.