PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand baggage only on escalators at LGW
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2009, 16:01
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k3lvc
Well you must have a very different view of the terminal to me - come off the shuttle and the escalators are right in front of you - i.e. the direct path to the check in area. The lifts are tucked away behind either M&S or WH Smith. Granted not more than 100m further but I certainly don't 'walk past them'
Ok, fair point. If I do ever go into the terminal, I always go in from the domestic arrivals end, so you are right.

However, as much as I, too, hate this nanny state we seem to be living in, in this instance, I think it's a fair rule. If anything, it should apply to all escalators in transport hubs, where possible, or the escalators themselves should be made wider, shallower and with larger steps. But, we both know that isn't going to happen.

I hate to back BAA in this, as believe me, I have nothing but contempt for them, but maybe if idiots, (such as myself, unfortunately) didn't try to pile loads of bags on the escalators, then there would be no need for people standing at the bottom. And maybe, if I hadn't learnt the hard way, I would be agreeing with you.

Unfortunately, I would guess that this has come about due to the potential threat of lawsuits, like pretty much every seemingly silly health and safety law in this country. And at the end of the day, we only have ourselves to blame for that.

Jsl

P.S. Have a good trip tomorrow, (but not of the falling over kind! ) and don't forget to look both ways when you leave your house....