PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hercs" or "Caribous" -Can They Be Used as FIREFIGHTERS??
Old 13th Jan 2009, 13:46
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
"Hercs" or "Caribous" -Can They Be Used as FIREFIGHTERS??

Looking at the Port Lincoln fires on tonight's news, it would seem that a larger aircraft or two, might have had a little more success.
So,
Its probably been asked before, but they seem to utilise all sorts of large aircraft in the US for fire-bombers..

Can the RAAF 'Hercs' be fitted with a large internal bladder, slide in - slide out - suitably 'tied down', with an 'easy fill' facility, and a bloody big valve / louvres / whatever at the rear end, for the purpose of water bombing??

The 'Bou' - possibly on a smaller scale?

I mean, here we have two styles of airframes with a fairly 'empty' cavernous interior capable of lifting some serious volumes / weights.

Is the problem structural?

The capacity, and therefore the weight, need not approach MTOW for 'Normal Ops', as I realise that the turb. encountered in the Fire Proximity area would be potentially 'Severe', and there is no point in risking overstressing the airframes.

But surely, here is an opportunity to fully utilise these fine fully funded aircraft and give the crews some 'extraordinary' training - in a not too disimilar Military-style environment. ?

Is this not possible / feasible / economical?
Would not the properties saved be worth it?

I wonder.....

Cheers.