PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand baggage only on escalators at LGW
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2009, 13:14
k3lvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetset lady
Oh for God's sake, k3lvc, get a grip! The lifts at LGW's N/T are virtually next to the escalators. You actually have to walk past them.
Well you must have a very different view of the terminal to me - come off the shuttle and the escalators are right in front of you - i.e. the direct path to the check in area. The lifts are tucked away behind either M&S or WH Smith. Granted not more than 100m further but I certainly don't 'walk past them'

Just occasionally, (very occasionally, mind you..) the health and safety rules actually make sense!
No they don't at all - if they did then the same would apply on the escalators from the train platform to the South terminal and from Arrivals back up to the shuttle. The same would also presumably apply at all the other BAA airports and everywhere in the world where someone could carry a bag up/down an escalator. Instead we have to continue to put up with queues in security, poor maintenance and dirty facilities whereas BAA can continue to throw staff at (IMHO) meaningless but highly visible tasks.

I'm heading off to Gatwick again in the morning so will remember to leave my bags at home, wear all my protective clothing and advise my insurance company that I'm taking part in a high-risk activity