PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone know what happen to this guy after being grounded?
Old 13th Jan 2009, 13:01
Max Contingency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the standard of instruction shown in the short clip was pretty awful. However, I am sure that the edited version bears little resemblance to the unedited original. It is also worth remembering that RAF flying training in the early 80s also contained a heavy amount of selection as well as training. Students deliberately had pressure applied to them at all stages of training as the aircraft that were going on to eventually fly could quickly kill them if they were not able to cope with pressure and to think well ahead of the aircraft (turbines that took 5 seconds to spool up across the power range, aircraft that could not be recovered from certain aerodynamic configurations etc)
I remember it as a very stressful time in which we all lived with the thought that our dream could be taken away from us within 48 hours if we failed to perform (fail a flight that morning, re fly it and fail in the afternoon, chop ride next day).

Happy days......I think.