PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2009, 12:48
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 204 Likes on 72 Posts
Look, I trained Modular myself and went on to be a flight instructor at an Integrated school. I have seen both sides of the fence.

It is absolutely 100% correct to say that an Integrated course spoonfeeds you where a Modular course doesn't. That is no bad thing. A large chunk of the premium you pay is for exactly that service.

Essentially on day one you hand over the cheque, pick up your uniform, get issued your books and shown to your room. You then follow the timetable, attend the right classroom, abide by the study plan, listen to your instructor, work hard and pop out of the other end with your 11 other course mates with a CPL/IR Frzn ATPL. That is spoonfeeding.

Which is great.

You can rephrase it as benefitting from consistent training with high continuity of insutruction. Or you can call it spoonfeeding. In the same way that, say, the RAF, spoonfeeds its pilots for three whole years to get them from Effects of Control 1 to A2A Live Firing 1.

At the end of the day everyone passes the same tests administered by the same examiners and flies to an indistinguishable standard. I honestly cannot tell the difference between a Modular or Integrated co-pilot when at work because there isn't one.