PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kestrel MAYDAY
Thread: Kestrel MAYDAY
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2009, 04:50
Spitoon

Litebulbs, putting to one side for a moment your great knowledge of Greek Godology, you are demonstrating perfectly what worries me far more that the fact that two pilots may have differing opinions about the situation under discussion. As I said in in an earlier post
Originally Posted by me
The business of any particular situation being an 'automatic mayday' or whatever, in both ATC and on the flightdeck, is a result of what might be called corporate nervousness. We are moving toward an environment where everything has a procedure - if the procedure is followed then all is OK (almost irrespective of the outcome).

In the old days we trained professionals with skills to assess a situation and to make appropriate decisions ....
You seem to want a one-size fits all answer to the question when there isn't one.The thread doesn't present all of the information that was available to the flight crew so what you see is a discussion about individual opinions and slightly differing company procedures. I'm a great believer in having (and following) procedures but I don't think you can writew a manual that covers every eventuality - so I would like to feel that the driver of an aircraft that I am on is able to make an appropriate judgement based on the available information, operating procedures and guidance. What you are seeing here is a discussion of some of the thought processes that will go on in a pilot's mind when faced with an engine failure.

As for Captains Zeus and Apollo, well I hope that all the money spent on CRM training in the last few years will help them to do what's best for the aircraft and everyone on it whilst letting them each make their optimum contribution to handling the situation.

PS - I see your profile says you are an avionics engineer. Have you had a bad experience with some Greek pilots? Oh, and let's hope they never roster Zeus and Artemis together!