PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 'END OF G/A As A Stepping Stone' ???.....
Old 12th Jan 2009, 23:41
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some food for thought re: MPL Licenses.

Hi all,

Just my $0.02 worth on the whole thing...
If this scheme is ever made available to local Pilots, they had better consider the following scenario:

Sterling Airlines in Denmark took on the first European MPL's (on the B738) until just recently (which had to lay Pilots off due to present Economics). These guys had been flying the line for under a year with their shiny new MPL and B738 endos.

Now that they're out on the street (last in/ first out), they're now stuck in a situation where:

1. Excluding the B738, they've got a License to fly nuthin'. As part of their MPL, the Pilots received approx 20- 40 hrs flying a Piston Single (I don't think a PPL issue was even part of this). So having lost their job, and wanting to keep some hours ticking over by other means, they are completely stonewalled. There are no options to Instruct, fly Charter- or even to waltz down to the local Aero Club and hire a C152. No doubt already hocked to the hilt from paying for their MPL, very few would be in a position (or have the inclination), to go back to virtually square one and do it "the hard way".

2. Given the above- this situation is severely compunded for Australian MPL holders. Say you're an MPL with Jetstar on the A320, and (heaven forbid), it all goes awry and Jetstar ceases to exist. Any other Airlines in Australia who will be able to accept your applications?? Żou'd better pray and hope that Tiger have got some sort of interest in MPL's when they can take their pick of experienced GA applicants. Of course they could take mercy- and take you on at much infereior rates compared to the marginal rates for the experienced guys- BECAUSE THEY CAN. What do you have in the way of bargaining power?

Or conversely, you're with Virgin on the B737NG and the unthinkable happens (remember Ansett?). In that case, you'd better hope that Qantas are interested in MPL's- but of course you're set up for a financial raping due to the same reasons above. No bargaining power.

Less of a problem in Europe of course as there are far more operators flying the same equipment. I can foresee though that this could be a major problem here.

3. So you lose your job, somehow manage to do a traditional License all over again, and set out to find a job. Pray that nobody knows that you do hold an MPL, or you'll be viewed (rightly or wrongly) as someone who'll piss off at the first sniff of a jet job.

I can only conclude that such a License- whilst being a quick route to the RHS- may also have the ability to erect severe roadblocks on a career here in Australia. It may also severely restrict your ability to have any clout in an Industrial Relations context too......

Interested in your thoughts on the above also...

Cheers,
Gearup