PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper PA-28
Thread: Piper PA-28
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2002, 18:50
TikkiRo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good choice

I am disabled with rheumatic conditions and began my training on a C-172 because of the ease of getting in and out as well as the extra comfort over the 152 despite the higher cost and swore when I saw a Piper one day I'd NEVER fly one of them - really hated them with a passion. However, last year saw me being awarded a RIAT FSD Scholarship and I spent 7 weeks in 43rd Air School in S. Africa racking up 35 hours (got grounded a lot with my health hence the slowness) all in a PA-28-160/180 - near the end of that time I went for an hour's conversion training back on a C-172 and HATED it - the plane seemed so much heavier and really sluggish in the air by comparison. Landing was so different and I struggled to get the plane lined up and taxying - well, gave that up as a bummer - could not taxy straight at all - I appreciate that given time and around the same no of hours training perhaps I may have changed my mind, but I do feel the Piper is a better training plane now for many reasons. However, for whatever reason they seem to be more expensive to fly, so that in itself may limit your viewpoint.

Good luck with your training whichever plane you opt for - me, I'm away back to SA to finish off my own PPL this year on my trusty EVJ at 43rd!!

TR