PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 12th Jan 2009, 22:45
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
212man,

That is a chance we all take on every flight.....every now and then one of our cabs suddenly and catastrophically destroys itself.

The Finnish report answered the question about that crash and I guess we all felt a bit warmer and fuzzier as a result.

Is the source and completeness of the information that will allow for that warm and cozy feeling?

I reckon we can fly around and keep our eyes open looking for indications we are going to have both engines suddenly and without warning develop zero torque on us....but what would one look for that would give you more than a flash to do something about it.

The more information we have the better.

Perhaps the quality of preflight checks has gone up....or the increased scrutiny upon engineering will be a positive thing.

I suggest knowing one of the cabs did come apart in the air for some as yet unknown reason....will in itself at least momentarily boost our awareness of the need to be vigilant day in....and day out.

Complacency in aviation kills people.

I do not accept the "wait and see" but do it in complete silence and darkness attitude held by some here. I believe in the waiting for the official report but until then the more I know about a fatal event the better.