PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recognition for Wootton Bassett
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2009, 22:44
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My man loved this area, he would have felt that his family were there for him - is there need for more?
I apologize for my bluntness up front, Sorry.

Yes, there is a need for more. Your man knew and loved the area and, possibly, some who lined the route knew your man. But many who pass through know not the people or the area.

In this modern, "do nothing without benefit to yourself" country that Britain is becoming these people step out, rain or shine, to do something selflessly. Such is the unusual nature of the gesture it is worthy of recognition. If for no other reason that it might draw others to consider a selfless act...

They, like those who populate "The Highway of Heroes" near Toronto, bring a tear to those who understand and they might, hopefully, (even in the smallest way), inspire others who currently either don't know or care to pay some modicum of respect to those who have given their life. Even the smallest step is a step in the right direction.

The people of Wootton Bassett have demonstrated what our country used to be about: Honour and Respect for those who, through volunteering or conscription, have placed themselves in harms way.

Personally, I applaud them and believe that they should be granted recognition as one small town making a big difference in some people's lives and, possibly, helping to maintain a national identity that is becoming harder and harder to find.

[End note]

I lived at RAF Hullavington for 3 years. Beautiful area, wonderful people. I might be considered "biased". But I doubt anyone could make that accusation stick in this regard...

[/End Note]