PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zest Airways MA60 crash landing in Caticlan - Boracay?
Old 12th Jan 2009, 21:57
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why just charge the crew?

Why before doing so or even contemplating such an action fully investigate the whole operator set-up.? Why shoot the messenger?

I would certainly begin looking at the training of all pilots; ground as well as flight training. Was it adequate, are the crew trained in CRM, how many check rides do they perform into 'short' airstrips, who teaches them such 'low' approachs that nessesitate road closures to permit landings, are they operating outside of the aircraft's performance envelope. Have a very good look at the operator's culture; look at the senior flight management; the company financial strength. Investigate fully all aspects of the operation before 'shooting the pilots'.

As you should be well aware of, an accident may not be the result of just hitting a runway; it could be the result of many factors, poor airmanship, inadequate training, company pressure,peer pressure , poor CRM, crew status, or a host of other factors in place well prior to an accident, all coming together as the 'Swiss Cheese' example. Result. an accident.

I hope that RP authorities can and do complete a thorough investigation into this accident in light of many other undershoots or over-runs in the past few years. There appears to be deficiencies in basic flying standards.

Happy safe flying!

There may be a valid point about the safety and integrity of the aircraft, but I wonder why I belive none are flying or certified under JAR or FAR rules.