PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 'END OF G/A As A Stepping Stone' ???.....
Old 12th Jan 2009, 21:30
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This reads as quite disturbing for us older generation, what Gen A for eg

The way I see it in time the ONLY way into an airline job will be via the MPL. Obviously the worlds A/C manufactureres & the demand for pilots to fly them won't be able to be sustained with the current way pilots are supplied. So change IS on it's way. If by some chance a youngster does have a pvt lic then he/she would still have to do the whole MPL course from scratch anyway, just that these 'pre trained' pilots may very well have a better/easier journey thru the course.
As for L/H seat jockies? Well eventually the transition from R/H to L/H will be just a matter of time on type in the R/H seat, there is to my thinking no other way around this, essentially this is what happens now in todays climate.
Look lets face it it ain't rocket science to fly a modern day jet, sheeeez they are now currently full of low houred pilots anyway from the last uptake we saw recently. The job is becoming more a systems manager than anything else, real pilots flying real jets will in the not too distant future just be in the history books or old folks homes. It's a brave new world out there with technology & pilot training as it is these days becoming out of whack with each other. I wish the career path to the top job to stay the same as it has since day because it has worked in the past, but nothing is forever sadly.
GA will survive for many many years yet but the gap will be even further apart with the "them & us"

'Keg' you raise a vaild point:-)

Wmk2