PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very annoying film stock
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2002, 17:30
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,594 Likes on 731 Posts
astir 8, reference the Hurricane:

Prototype
Prototype, equipped with Rolls-Royce Merlin C, retractable tail wheel, full wheel doors, Watts two-bladed fixed-pitch propeller, eight BSA Browning .303 (7.7 mm) machine-guns.

Mk I
2,719 plus 40 built in Canada.
Early Mk IA: Rolls-Royce Merlin II or III, larger radiator, fixed tail wheel, stronger canopy bars, and armoured windscreen. Later Mk Ia’s had metal-skinned wings, longer spinner, and Rotol or de Havilland three-bladed variable-pitch propeller.

Hillson FH40
Canadian-built Mk I modified in Great Britain with biplane wing for extra lift and fuel storage.

Mk IIA
+/- 100
Introduced Merlin XX. Early Mk IIs had the four-gun "A" wing (eight guns in total).

Mk IIB
Unknown.
The "B" wing added two more Brownings to each wing for a total of twelve .303 machine-guns. First Hurricane to be fitted with bomb racks under each wing for 250 lb (113 kg) bomb.

Mk IIC
"C" wing had two 20 mm Hispano cannons (four 20 mm total) and bomb racks.

Mk IID
"D" wing used the fearsome 40 mm Vickers "S" gun with two .303 Brownings for anti-tank and ground attack work.

Mk III
Not proceeded with. Packard Merlin-powered Hurricane to be built in Great Britain. Cancelled due to shortage of proposed powerplant.

Mk.IV
Introduced Merlin 24 or 27. Began life as the IIE. Introduced "universal wing" able to carry combinations of 20 mm cannon, 40 mm anti-tank guns, up to eight rocket projectiles, and 250 lb or 500 lb bombs.

Mk V
Dedicated ground-attack variant intended for CBI theatre. Four-bladed Rotol propeller powered by Merlin 32 of 1,700 hp (1,268 kW). Three built. Not successful due to overheating problems.

Mk.X
Total CCF production 1,451.
Canadian-built Packard Merlin 28 powered Hurricane, Hamilton Standard propeller. Similar to Mk IIB.

Mk.XI
Canadian-built, similar to Mk X, but RCAF equipment fitted. Most shipped to Russia.

Mk.XII
Canadian-built, similar to Mk XI. Packard Merlin 29, initially with 8-gun wing, later with 4-cannon or Universal wing. Similar to Mk II and Mk IV.

Sea Hurricane Mk 1A
"Hurricat". Hurricane Mk I conversion with catapult spools that allowed launching from Catapult-equipped Merchant ships (CAM ships).

Sea Hurricane Mk 1B
Hurricane Mk I, Mk II, Mk X, and Mk XII conversion with catapult spools, plus arrestor hook for operation from hastily converted Merchant Aircraft Carriers (MAC ships).

Sea Hurricane Mk 1C
Unknown.
Navalised four 20 mm cannon armed conversion from Hurricane Mk I.

Sea Hurricane Mk IIC
Unknown.
Navalised Mk IIC, Merlin XX.