PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Big changes for Qantas cadets
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:45
redleader78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nah not psychological assessment more just expressing my musings as i try to come to terms with the issues. To look at the issue in another light.

So to try and simplify it down for me does it all comes down when a person actually starts employed into a flying role, that they should have seniority?

Employment by definition is an activity that one devotes time. It does not necessarily have to be for remuneration that a lot of people assume that you have to fulfill being employed. Honorary ambulance officers come to mind. Now think about the cadets. I would assume the selection that qantas applies for the cadet ship is pretty rigorous. I would also assume that the cadets would most likely be subject to some sort of code of conduct that qantas operates under, with an appropiate discplinary procedure for not fulfilling the expectation. The cadet also devotes a fair amount of their time to the activity fulfilling thoose requirements that qantas demands. So i don't think it is that much of a stretch to understand a nexus could be established that the cadets are representing qantas and there is a form of employment happening.

Instead of trying to destroy the working conditions of one of your fellow employees and people that de people feel they are being discriminated against because they are not currently being remunerated in a flying role on mainline. Maybe focus on as a collective and be arguing about better pay conditions etc. before trying to because the De group is i assume bigger numerically commit acts of bullying because the award has a clause in it that de group don't like as it seemingly disadvantages this group. Pilots are competive bunch, and don't like when another group seemingly gets a percieved advantage.

ideally as mstr caution stated would be great but, i imagine the cost of that could be high.