PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Big changes for Qantas cadets
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2009, 11:58
A Comfy Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is directed to all those who are current cadets, or all budding pilots wanting that Qantas career. Please don't get discouraged from the "cadet bashing" that goes on around here, and let it affect your chosen career path.

As a Cadet (albeit one before the CIPP), I've found no-one so far in the airline who has "hated" me. They might be around, but I've never had any issues. Why? Because people take you on face value. If you are an aviator who meets the standard, and you're a reasonably amiable sort of person, then your background is largely irrelivant.

Fortunately, inside QF, whilst there is a lot of argument (and anger) about the LOA (which I understand) , crews are intelligent enough to realise that it is a Company/Union issue, and that the Cadets are the last people to have any influence over it. They play the ball (the LOA) not the man.

There is a lot of anger towards the individuals around the place, but its all coming from OUTSIDE QF. Some of these people think that they have been in the queue longer and done the hard yards so have some inherant right to a job in the airline. Ironically, many of these same people don't realise that it is this sort of attitude that holds them back from their airline job. If there is one thing that airline recruiters don't like, its an inability to accept people of other backgrounds and experiences, especially in this day when CRM is king.

Don't get caught up with the LOA argument, its an internal Qantas issue to do with reserved seniority that whilst is important to those affected, isn't something to worry about for someone new joining the company now. There might be a few reserved seniority numbers above you... this could be for any reason the company and the union agree to. When you join, take your position, and take your career as it comes.

There are merits to each of the cadet programs, military and GA flying paths, and which one is best for you is really a matter of "Horses for Courses". Go to the information sessions, and talk to friends. Talk to anyone you know in the industry. Most of all, make the decision for your future for YOU, not from the anonymous experts around here who say you're a far better pilot if you've done the hard yards. I agree that experience counts for a lot in this game, but what is more important is how you study, prepare, and most importantly learn from your actions. Do this through any of the paths, and you'll be a safe and successful pilot.

Good Luck in whatever career paths you choose!

A.C.C.