PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fake Qantas engineer jailed
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2009, 11:03
MD11Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, when I was working for a now long bankrupt company, we had a line station in Liege, Belgium, handling the N-registered BAE 146 fleet of a wellknown cargo carrier.
The station manager (and senior engineer) got caught, but only after a major f#ck up) with a forged FAA A&P licence (from what I know (I was based at a different station at this time), he used his brother's licence number, so that, if you looked at the FAA website, at least the family names agreed).
He got caught after one morning a crew found a wheel chock in an engine intake, with several fan blades bent. The scrote still tried to blame it on an innocent unlicenced mechanic, but security camera footage revealed that he threw a wheel chock into the fan to stop it from windmilling to carry out an inspection.
After this incident he got fired and his credentials scrutinized, when it was found that his licence was all bogus. Afaik, he served some time in a Belgian jail.
From what I understand, this guy (a Britisher) was hired by our old boss at a time when the companywas desperately looking for staff and as an upstart had to take what they could find. Not that our ex-boss was too scrupelous in obeying the law. AFAIK, he is wanted in Germany for fraud and, after he bankrupted the company, he f*cked off never to be seen again, owing the staff and other creditors a lot of money (including myself). We assume that he over the years quietly syphoned off company money and government subsidies (for creating jobs in a high unemployment region) and transfered the money to accounts in overseas tax havens.