PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next stop.... qualifying cross-country
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2002, 15:53
paulo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have I told this story before? Oh I don't care...

I did Goodwood on mine. Nice FISO lady - a really cheery "Welcome to Goodwood" as I rolled out, helpful parking instructions, and a friendly smile when I went to get her sign off, despite the fact that she was rushed off her feet on the radio. Nice airfield, nice cafe, a Moth doing mad turns at 100ft after rotate.

But then the next leg got even beter, chatting with Shoreham on the way over to Lydd. They had a display on, so they're giving me traffic information like "two Spitfires coming across the front of you on their way up to Gatwick". Wowww! Then saw the silhouette of a Lancaster, leaving to do a flypast at Southampton. Corrrrr!!

On arriving at Lydd, the FISO bloke had all the charm of a smack in the face, but on the bright side there was an airshow thing on, so I had an audience! (Doubt they were much interested, given the DC-3, matching Pilatus PC-7's etc).

Then as I'm at the hold to leave, I hear someone announce they're landing intentions. It's Carolyn Grace, in for a run and break in her Spitfire. Woooowww again!

What a great day. I felt like an eight year old who'd just had a brilliant dream.

With our without the eye candy, you should find it a very memorable experience. For me, way better than the first solo.