Thread: s-58 aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2009, 00:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
Snoop

SASless, back to using your old technique again, i.e, patronisation in an attempt to recover an argument. I might be a mere "laddy" in your eyes but I've done a little, too, albeit only over thirty years of doing it for a crust.
The previous poster to you appeared to write that he advocated running in at a speed beyond Vne. I questioned that and you jumped in.

As far as "fun" flying goes, my previously officially sanctioned display was banned by the hierarchy after two other pilots flying the same manoeuvres in later display seasons had a problem. Each took part of a tail rotor blade off against the pylon, something that wasn't possible unless the blades went beyond the mechanical limit of the hinges. About ten inches beyond.

If "lsh" reads this, he might tell us more about that - he was crewman in one of the two aircraft that suffered the tail blade strike. "Jellycopter" recently reminded me that I showed him a watered down version of the display when he was my student and we were out doing "sloping ground" in the local area. He has obviously some recall of it.

We took it further than the S-58s in the video; in retrospect it was a little too far. In order to get the vertical performance we needed after our run in at just below Vne (we flew to 85 degrees nose up to 450 feet agl) I used to cyclic pull until the collective pitch gauge needle vibrated then back off, just a little. God knows what it did to the transmission and pitch links; I would never do that to an aircraft now because I know better.

One day during a work-up practice I cavitated both hydraulic systems at 400 feet agl with 90 degrees nose down (actually my crewman told me we went almost 130* nose down during that one). This was in a seven tonne aircraft. The cyclic kicked hard then locked for a couple of heart stopping moments. I learned a little more about respect for the limitations of my aircraft from that.

After my display season was over, a routine engine change on my regular aircraft was needed. The ground crew chief told me that it came out of its mounts with a little jump. They couldn't get another engine back in. Something was pulled out of line. It was the barbeque plate. I learned more about mechanical sympathy that day, too.

These days I admit I've calmed down more than a little, having had more than my fair share of fun and sometimes exploratory flying, out of respect for A) the very fast little twin which does it's evil best to go well beyond Vne at any small opportunity (even straight and level, whereupon it logs an exceedance in it's computer brain, for the engineering department to see) and B) for the owner sitting in the cabin who pays my salary.