PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - s-58 aerobatics
Thread: s-58 aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 23:07
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Shy,

You ever consider that there is more to life than thirty miles to the gallon?

Airspeed indicators can be off by a knot....gusts and turbulence can bounce the needle about a bit....some silly sod might just throw a number out there in telling a good story....heck...there might even be a bit of tolerance thrown into the calculation of the very number itself.

I did not state one should ever knowingly exceed Vne....read the post again closely laddy.

That being said....every now then in flying....putting down the RFM, AIP, FAR's, and all that hodge podge of bulletins, notices, edicts, decrees and the like....and just flying the aircraft for the sheer pleasure of it.... is what separates real pilots from the cook book variety.

Until you get out there and pull a few G's and feel the aircraft load up and get to shuddering....or point the nose in directions beyond dead level....or zip along a few feet above the ground at warp speed....why Man your soul just hasn't lived.

I am not suggesting you overstress the aircraft or input any abrupt loads on the old girls....but rather get to really handling the thing and "feel" the aircraft. You can do it...do it safely....do it within the most the rules...and be the better for it without hurting anybody or anything.

Sheeeee-It Doc! Flying is supposed to be as much fun as one can have with your pants on! (Skirts down for Fair Whirls and you Jocks out there!)

If you do not push the the edges a bit then you forget where they are as they get all fuzzy. Maybe I do not see the limitations as being etched in steel but rather inked on a page where the line blurs just a tiny bit.

I can think of a hand full of occurrences where with a lot of outside help and some timely divine intervention I have tried to tear the blades off a couple of aircraft and gave it the old college try in doing so....and nothing got damaged despite my best efforts..Perhaps I think more of the strength of the aircraft than I should.

A final thought....I can assure you RBS is the ultimate Vne....you will not exceed that speed (granted that speed will vary upon the conditions).