PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CANCER and a CAA CONUNDRUM
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 22:28
Clipped Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CANCER and a CAA CONUNDRUM

Firstly I must say that I've looked at the various threads on the subject and I feel that there is potentially something to be gained by my post.
So here goes:
Diagnosed with bowel cancer and metastases in the small lobe of my liver in 2007. Op for bowel cancer sucessfully completed Nov 2007 and small lobe of liver removed in Feb 2008. Wipe-over chemo completed end Oct 2008 and the result - I'm am clear of cancer. So that fight has been fought and won, not so the fight to regain my CAA class 2 medical!!
Using data from a report written in 1998 the CAA Medics consider me to be 'at risk' of developing further metastases 'which may lead to an incapacitation'. Their solution - I have to wait a total of 3 years from my Feb 2008 op and, 'if free from recurrence' they can consider me for a class 2 medical. As I see it I am being penalised for daring to 'catch' cancer - something I am clinically clear of now - based upon a document that is 10 years out of date and uses data presumably gathered over 5-10 years prior to document publication. Oncology has moved on a pace since then!!
So, Have you had a similar problem in the last year or so and been able to achieve a satisfactory resolution? I am going to appeal but any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.