PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Pilots of PPRuNe
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 21:51
gpn01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
Gliders is at the very least a half-day exercise. That's for the students who show up early in the morning, pull out the towplanes and gliders and leave after lunch. Other studes show up later and stay to put the toys back in the box
Not necessarily the case. I fly with Booker GC (just to the West of London). We provide bookable slots for students. Reality is though that gliding is a sociable and fun activity and part of the experience is helping out, chatting to people and learning at the same time. I always say to prospective students that if they want to turn up at the alloted time, do a series of flights and then go then they can. But they're going to get far more value for their time if they help out and become a participating member of the Club. If that's not for them then I recommend that they take a look instead at doing a PPL with one of the resident aeroclubs (Wycombe Air Centre and BAFC).

Me personally, 800Hrs+, Two Diamonds, Full-Gold, aerobatics enthusiast and Full-Cat rating. I fly anything available in the fleet (K-21s, K-13s, K-18s, Juniors, Discus, Pegasus, Duo Discus) have a half share in a Std Jantar and am always eager to try out different types whenever anyone will let me have a go. Flown from quite a few UK sites (thermal, cloud flying ridge and wave, winch and aerotow).

There's something absolutely awesome to fly a task of 300Kms+, using just nature's energy and without an engine.

Have also learned that for some power pilots that gliding is actually quite difficult for them because it involves a good level of handling skill, the ability to assess constantly changing conditions and a need to develop judgement skills without relying on either ground communications or a lever that allows you to 'go around' if you don't get the approach right first time, every time. I get plenty of field landing practice each year too and so there's a lot of adrenaline flowing with selecting a suitable field, etc. I guess for some that's a bit too stressful!