PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Unauthorised" air ambulance landing
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 16:55
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sasless

Purely to clear up the UK regs and not comment on this case (at least for this post anyway).

Edited in response to XrayDice lower down the page, the purpose of me putting this here is to try and get pilots to notice that there appears to be nothing to stop a pilot landing were he likes in common law, which is one of the factors to encourage precautionary landings as acceptable to newly qualified or inexperienced pilots hence my opening line, and also to clear up what is and isn't current in the UK at this time.

It may help the you can't land there / oh yes I can argument if we cite some specifics.

It would be good if we had FLs input on this but until we do I'll offer some places to go and look.

The current version of the ANO can be found in CAP393 we are currently up to AMENDMENT 3/2008 of CAP393.

Several modifications have been made to the ANO since the 2005 version reference by Finals3Greens. The latest modification to my knowledge being the Air Navigation (Amendment) Order 2008 (SI 2008/1782).

The current Rules of the Air have also been modified since 1997 and they currently are described in 2007 SI 734

What this amounts to is that CAP393 Amendment 3/2008 contains the latest versions of the ANO (it is section 1 of the document) and The rules ot the Air (It is Section 2 of the document)

CAP393 can be found at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf

F3G
Article 118 has obviously changed as it now talks about use of simulators in testing and I can't find a copy of the 1995 Version of the ANO in my collection of part regs, so it may help if you give us a hint as to which bit you are tlking about.

I would imagine that an Air Ambulance operation would be carried out under several exemptions to the rules that apply to the rest of us anyway, the contents of those exemptions we may never see (its none of our business really).

Some people have mentioned the need for land owners permission in the UK, and I believe that is dealt with to death in this thread http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/255...ermission.html which includes comments from FL but not about this specific case.

The only thing the ANO seems to say about land owners is that
Article 168(1)
Subject to articles 128 and 130, nothing in this Order or any regulations made thereunder shall confer any right to land in any place as against the owner of the land or other persons interested therein.
Which to me says the ANO doesn't give you the right to land, but what in English Law says you are prohibited from doing so ?

The only place the ANO appears to mention saving life is to allow the raising and lowering or dropping of people /articles and animals to save life

I hope this helps

GS

Last edited by VeeAny; 11th Jan 2009 at 18:20. Reason: Explanantion for XRay Dice