PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAIRY
Thread: HAIRY
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 12:54
Dengue_Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my last visit to OASC Biggin Hill in 1972 I met a Sgt pilot who said he was the last NCO pilot and was flying Whirlwinds.

It's not a much publicised fact that most of the Battle of Britain pilots were NCOs - who, in fairness were led by commissioned pilots ranging from the sublime to complete incompetents (so nothing has changed much there).

Once more it was the USA who 'did' for our NCO crews as they deemed it unacceptable for NCOs to control the delivery of nuclear weapons. That spelled the end for NCO captains and pilots and navigators especially. Obviously not to be trusted - which is why I find the Hooligans' hierarchy particularly satisfying where it would appear that ability is far more important.

V bomber crews were all commissioned as far as I remember and the NCO on board was a crew chief on Rangers.

Doubtless, I'll be corrected if wrong.

PS, I do remember shaving the inside of the serge (hairy) uniform as it irritated like hell (explains a lot doesn't it?) especially when damp. Personally I think it's 50/50 for the 'hairy' between 'arsed' and the serge.