PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA funding of UK retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 09:42
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CryrilJGroove

You asked yesterday for a "younger member" to explain their position.

Whilst I am not sure I would count myself as a "younger member" I support the idea of vote. The GC is empowered and entrusted to make decisions on the way the AOA is run and does so on a daily basis without the need to run to the membership seeking its expressed approval for every decision. No doubt they do so using some basic principles and I shall highlight two such principles.

1. Does the proposal represent value and can the AOA afford it?
2. Is the proposal in line with AOA principles and policy?

This is an Appeal, because your arguments have already been rebuffed once, it is extremely risky. Litigation is expensive and no doubt an Appeal is even more expensive as it is a higher Court, takes more time and presumably a higher grade of Barrister/legal team. Equally, should you lose, you pay the other sides costs and those costs will be greater. The decision to fund this Appeal will draw funds from not only this year, but years to come. I assume the GC believes it is affordable and represents value, however the membership must be made aware of this considerable commitment.

On the second point. The GC must support the aim of litigation. The AOA's policy must be that age 55 is discriminatory and that RA should be 65 or unlimited (subject to medical). As another writer pointed out, because of the construction of the COS, BPP is linked to the phrase " retirement age"; not "age 55", therefore BPP will no longer be paid. Therefore in a nutshell; the AOA's policy is "RA 65, with no BPP".

I think this shift in policy will come as news to most members and it is for this reason a vote should be held.

As an aside, if the GC really wants RA 65 with no BPP why did they emphatically turn down the deal of Aug 07 (with the associated pay rises). To cut to the chase, if the GC really believes in Charlie's Appeal; get PW to walk upstairs to Nicks office and sign a deal putting us all on the failed COS07(without the associated pay rises) .... saves everyone a lot of time and money....