PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultralight Crash Vic
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 06:16
Blue Carpet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source: Plane crash kills one | Herald Sun

Anthony Dowsley, Matthew Johnston and AAP
January 11, 2009 04:10pm

A PLANE has crashed into a residential street in Mornington, killing the pilot.

Victoria Police said the ultralight aircraft was a single-person plane that had tried to land in Craigrossie Road, Mornington.

The plane crashed into bush next to a tennis court, narrowly missing homes in the area.

Craigrossie Rd is close to the popular Mill Beach in Mornington.

A resident of Craigrossie Road, Meg Turner, said the plane crash landed on her property.

"It didn't touch the house but went over the other side of the tennis court and into bush and trees," Ms Turner said.

Another resident of Craigrossie Road, who did not wish to be named, said he heard a loud noise as the plane hit trees when it crashed.

"What I heard was a roar like a motor mower in its last gasp and that large roaring noise you get when a motor mower hasn't got any petrol," he said.

"There was a no noise at all, then there was a roar, then there was a thumping noise as it hit the trees. It did not occur to me listening to it that I had heard a plane crash."

He said people on the beach saw the plane flying without power.

"They saw it turn right into the foreshore - their belief was that it had crashed into the foreshore," he said.

"In fact it has crashed, I suppose, 100 metres to the east of the Mornington foreshore."