PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - life after the sandpit
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 03:57
fourgolds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
life after the sandpit

OK so with all the forums and continued negative sentiment about life in the sandpit .( and lots of it for good reason)
Lets try get some honest opinions from those who have left for other arenas ( including other expat jobs). I am most interested to hear your experiences.
We have had many leave .For those that have how about some reality checks for those of us that are here considering a move.

My personal concern on life in the sandpit ( but this goes with most expat jobs) is that you have all your eggs in one basket. i.e wifey is working here (on your visa.) kids are in schools ( on your visa) , you have a housy ( because of your visa) , you have a social network ( because of your visa).
Now it all go,s wrong ( a bad day at work) . You now loose all of the above and have to find your way.

Even our colleauges at places like CX and KAL , have basings where they might have houses in their countries , kids at school in thier countries etc.
So if it all went to pot there , they would only efffectively loose the job part ( the rest of their lives remain largely intact).

How about some honest gouge on life outside the sandpit . Yip tax , rosters , time off , lifestyle , your new company culture , general well being and retirement prospects etc

or as per the nature of prune , anything thats relevent.