PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL(H) Flight Simulator at Kemble?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2009, 15:56
kneedwondean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In actual fact it has proved to be a really valuable training aid specifically for teaching Nav and RT. Once a student is ready to be taught Nav it takes 10mins to get used to the controls and get a basic scan together. The scenery database is superb, so getting students flying tracks and making course corrections, cockpit management and RT all combined is a much less stressful way of doing things. And it also means students can keep up their momentum during poor weather periods, especially at Kemble which is prone to low cloud and fog.

The list of training scenarios we could potentially cover could included basic VOR, diversions, in flight emergencies, etc. All at a much lower cost than getting in the R22.

Of course there is no subsitute for hands on, hence only five hours counts towards you PPL(H), but when getting to grips with nav it seems to work a treat. My experience is that the feel is not unlike a Jetranger, I seem to be able to come out of the sim and jump straight into the Jetranger no problem. No feedback of course, so flys like a hydraulic heli, but the handling/feel is not what its about.

If anyone wants more info PM me.....