PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iceland sees red over RAF mission
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2009, 13:15
gone_fishing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was very glad when it was "mutually" decided that the raf wouldn't come over to "protect" us. Who needs them anyway, we won the royal navy in the Cod Wars and we can do very well without the friendship of the british government. Most brits are just fine lads and gals but it's the same with the politicians everywhere, they are all wankers.
Actually, you beat us because you started crying that you wouldn't allow us to remain in Iceland (i.e. defending you to defend our own asses from a potential Russian base to the North Atlantic) and that you would leave NATO. Seeing as the US has left and you've started to not allow us to Iceland then I think your playing card has just been ripped in to tiny pieces. A similar incident in today's climate I would think would involve Britian entirely ignoring your threats. Please bear in mind that your country has no standing armed forces, just a 100 man strong ICRU and a Icelandic Coast Guard numbering 4 bearly armed OPVs. I may be entirely wrong in this, but I'd suspect that just one of our Type 23 Frigate's on a skeleton crew could easily defeat the ICG and make it back in time for tea.

As for doing well without our freindship, I wouldn't be to sure if Iceland really does want to join the EU. They don't exactly look like the best candidate.

All the above aside, I will agree on your last comment.