PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WWII Carrier Ops Footage
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2009, 02:09
GreenKnight121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of notes:

The first FAA Corsair unit was No. 1830, created on the first of June 1943, and soon operating from HMS Illustrious.

Despite the decision to issue the F4U to Marine Corps units, two Navy units, VF-12 (October 1942) and later VF-17 (April 1943) were equipped with the F4U. By April 1943, VF-12 had successfully completed deck landing qualification. However, VF-12 soon abandoned its aircraft to the Marines. VF-17 kept its Corsairs, but was removed from its carrier, Bunker Hill (CV-17), due to perceived difficulties in supplying parts at sea.

In November 1943, while operating as a shore-based unit in the Solomon Islands, VF-17 reinstalled the tail hooks so its F4Us could land and refuel while providing top cover over the task force participating in the carrier raid on Rabaul. The squadron's pilots successfully landed, refueled and took off from their former home, Bunker Hill and the USS Essex (CV-9) on November 11, 1943.

The U.S. Navy finally accepted the F4U for unrestricted shipboard operations in April 1944, after the longer oleo strut was fitted, which finally eliminated the tendency to bounce. The first Corsair unit to be based effectively on a carrier was the USMC squadron, VMF-124, which joined USS Essex. They were accompanied by VMF-213.

An interesting account from a RAE test pilot can be found here (scroll down a ways, past the modeling stuff): Corsair F4U | Aircraft | Fiddlersgreen.net.. Fun downloadable paper models

I had joined the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Fainborough in January 1944, and one of the first tasks to which I was assigned was that of checking out the diving characteristics of the Corsair with undercarriage both retracted and extended. The aircraft with which I was to perform the tests was an early Lend-Lease Corsair Mk I and our encounter was certainly not a case of love at first sight. On the contrary, during my acquaintance with this impressively large and aesthetically unappealing fighter, which was to spread over several years, I was never to achieve any sort of rapport.
I was well aware that the US Navy had found the Corsair's deck-landing characteristics so disappointing in trials that it had been assigned for shore duties while an attempt was being made to iron out the problems, and although the FAA was deck-landing the aircraft, I knew that, by consensus, it had been pronounced a brute and assumed that shipboard operations with the Corsair were something of a case of needs must when the devil drives. The fact that experienced US Navy pilots could deck-land the Corsair had been demonstrated a couple of months earlier, in November 1943, when VF-17, providing high cover for the carriers Essex and Bunker Hill, had run short of fuel after decimating an attacking torpedo-bomber force and had landed safely aboard the carriers. All in all, I was most anxious to discover for myself if the Corsair was the deck-landing dog that it was reputed to be. It was!