PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 23:37
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AF;
Small point AF - I think you're intending to refer to V1, not V2?
I still am curious why one might think tillering might be a solution to loss of DC? I don't think cg enters into it;
Agree on the cg. On the tiller, no, I can't either - in fact, the dynamics at speeds close to V1 mitigate against the use of the tiller/nosewheel for DC notwithstanding stab trim, (for others: which I think was in the normal position - see earlier discussion), c-of-g etc, in that the nw will skip unless the nws angles achieved are very small and fed in slowly, (relatively speaking). IOW, I can't see the use of tiller causing further divergence - I can only see it not being effective.If the airplane was not responding to "full" rudder at the speed at which the diversion began then either a rogue gust which exceeded the certification limits (rudder authority at/near V1) occurred or there was a technical/mechanical failure.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the position of the control wheel or any slight roll angle just before the diversion began. Upwind spoiler deflection will tend to pull the nose in that direction, as we know. Not suggesting, just asking.

The 320 usually begins recording the wind at about 70 to 80kts CAS or so - on the ND as well as on the QAR - anyone know what the 735 does?